Tiny tidbits of information from behind the scenes of www.TheBodyBakery.com

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Dessert du Jour...You Smell SO Skinny!

If I wasn't doing what I love at http://www.thebodybakery.com/, I am positive I would be in the Fitness industry. Anyone who knows me knows that working out is a part of my daily (yes, 7 days a week) life and something that precedes everything I do each day. As with my business, I am dedicated, passionate, unwavering, and never give anything less than 100%.

I have been a fitness enthusiast for nearly 17 years after a friend of mine, Robin, introduced me to Bally's Health Club when she was looking for a workout partner. I was hooked. Aside from the obvious benefits: Weight loss, muscle gain, increased cardiovascular health, and overall strength, my energy level and mood were elevated dramatically to the point that when I didn't work out, I felt sluggish and tired.

The hardest part of starting my fitness routine was overcoming my own self-consciousness. I had never lifted a weight or gotten on a treadmill and my figure showed it! But that was almost 20 years ago, before there was a link between aromas and weight loss. What if you could have the ability to smell yourself skinny without putting in the time and energy at the gym? Well, maybe you can!

Now, I am not claiming that this is a proven weight loss plan or that I've even committed to trying this myself, but this study provides fascinating evidence that the actual act of just smelling a specific scent can 'trick' your brain into thinking that it is full and result in weight loss. Read on:

Scents can stimulate important mental and physical functions. Based on extensive research, here is a list of how various smells affect your health:

Fact: Scents control appetite. In a study of over 3,000 people, those who sniffed Banana, Green Apple or Chocolate scents, when they felt hungry, lost an average of 30 pounds in 6 months. Sniffing these scents often, and sniffing your meals before you eat, helps you eat less even though your brain will think you’re eating more.
*The smell of Strawberries or Popcorn causes exercisers to burn more calories.
*Peppermint also improves alertness by stimulating your sensory nerves.

Isn't that amazing?! Smelling those individual scents work as appetite supressants and may actually result in weight loss! Well, that makes our Dessert du Jour recommendations for the day a piece of Cake!:

Tuesday's Recommended Dessert du Jour:

Banana Cream Pie
Green Apple
Brownie Delight or Dutch Chocolate Cake
Strawberry Parfait
Mummy's Homemade Popcorn Balls
Peppermint Vanilla Latte

Has anyone tried this and succeeded? Do you think it would actually work? Send me your thoughts on this!

Stay Sweet & See You Tomorrow!

Lia Schmoldt
Owner/Fragrance Aficionado
http://www.thebodybakery.com/

1 comment:

Linda Wisdom said...

I found my energy level was boosted when I used a spearmint or any kind of strong mint body lotion when I got dressed for the gym. People at the fitness center used to joke they'd wonder what I'd smell like that day whether it was cookie scent, chocolate or minty. Mint was for days I was whining "I don't wanna go!" It gave me that literal get up and go attitude.

I love the idea of different scents according to my mood.

Linda